Strategic Planning simplified! We put together a user friendly overview of the strategic planning process with key questions to consider during five different phases. This is a great place to start if you’re thinking about setting the strategic direction of your organization. We use a variety of visual facilitative techniques to hear multiple perspectives, generate creativity and inspire better solutions. We can help you customize each phase to suit your needs.
Phase 1: Planning the Plan
- What is the purpose of engaging in a strategic planning process?
- What period of time will the strategic plan support? 3 yrs? 5 yrs? 10 yrs?
- Who should be involved in the planning process?
- Who are your stakeholders (anyone who is responsible for, affected by or has a vested interest in the outcome of your decisions)
- What process and methodology will be used?
- How will you provide opportunity for stakeholder input?
- What leadership structure will be used to plan, facilitate and implement?
Phase 2: Information Gathering & Strategic Analysis
- What is the current fiscal, social and political context for your organization?
- What are the internal strengths and challenges of your organization?
- What are the external opportunities and barriers for your organization?
- What is important to the people you serve?
- How can this input inform your strategic thinking?
Phase 3: Setting Strategic Priorities
- Do your Mission, Vision and Values Statements need to be updated?
- Does your Board and/Staff need to renew its Purpose Statement?
- What is your desired future state, based on what you have learned in the Information Gathering & Strategic Analysis Phase?
- What are five critical focus areas/priorities for the next 3-5 years?
- How will you know when you have been successful in these five areas? How will you measure progress?
Phase 4: Developing Strategic Actions
- What measurable goals are needed to move you toward your desired future state?
- What operational steps will be documented in an action plan (who will do what, by when?)
- What annual milestones will be observed along the way to let you know if you are on track?
- Are you confident that your plan is realistic and achievable? It should be a stretch but not impossible.
Phase 5: Communicating, Managing and Evaluating the Plan
- How will you ensure that the Strategic Plan is a user-friendly working document?
- How will the Strategic Plan be transparent and visible to the community you serve?
- How will progress be evaluated and reported? How will you redirect if needed?
- How will the Strategic Plan be embedded in the work of the Board and Staff? (ex: job descriptions, performance evaluations, board development topics, etc)
- How willing are you to engage in a 3-year cycle to update/renew your Strategic Plan?