What is Person Centered Thinking?
Person Centered Thinking is a way of interacting with and caring for people who use services. It empowers them to have positive control over their lives. If people who use services or need supports are to have self-directed lives within their own communities, then those who are around the person, especially those who do the day to day work, need to have person centered thinking skills. This training introduces a person centered philosophy and tools and techniques to gather meaningful information to understand the person well. You will learn new problem-solving and decision-making tools that engage the person in maintaining choice and control in matters affecting them. To learn more about the history and application of person centered thinking visit the Learning Community for Person Centered Practices and Helen Sanderson Associates
Who is it for?
Person Centered Thinking training can benefit
- Support professionals
- Family members
- Children during times of school transition
- People contemplating end of life
- People with Dementia
- People with Developmental/learning disability issues
- People with acquired brain injury
- Older people
- Young people considering college/career decisions
- People who are homeless
- People who have experienced domestic violence
- People who have short or long term health issues
- Any life situation which requries external supports
What will people know and be able to do as a result of attending this course?
Use person centred thinking tools to:
- Separate what is important to someone from what is important for them.
- Discover what is working and not working in a situation from different perspectives.
- Record how someone communicates through using a communication chart.
- Identify what are core responsibilities and where you can use creativity and judgment.
- Mindfully record learning by using learning logs and 4 plus 1 questions.
When and where is this course?
Visit our Training Calendar to see upcoming dates. The course can also be offered at your site in two full days or three partial days.
How much does this course cost?
Registration for this 12-hour training is $150 per person+ $25.00 for book & materials. Larger groups can save considerably by bringing this training to your organization using our daily rate of $1500 + materials costs and presenter travel. Download a copy of a training flier to share with others. Contact Mary Beth at email@example.com to schedule your training dates.